October 24, 2011

Every Rose Has Its Thorn 3

The day of my departure, Karl brought me to the airport and to the terminal. I didn’t say a word the whole time it took Karl to drive me to the airport. I wished that I could make time slow down, so that I could enjoy these precious moments a little longer. But I knew that, no matter how hard it was, it was inevitable that we would have to say goodbye.

“Promise to keep in touch,” I said with a soft voice. My voice was so full of emotion, I could barely recognize it as my own.

“Promised,” Karl said. “I’ll try to visit as soon as possible.”

“God,” I said, “I never imagined that it would be this hard to say goodbye.”

“Maybe this will make things easier,” Karl said. He took out a nicely-wrapped gift that he had been carrying in a bag. It felt and looked luxurious and expensive. Something that must have taken a lot of money and time crafting. Surely, something like this must contain something extraordinarily. Perhaps jewelery made of gold, pearls or even diamonds.

“What is it?” I said.

“Something that will make you remember me,” Karl responded. “This is one surprise you'll never ever forget.”

“Must be something very special,” I smiled. “Are you sure?”

“There is not the slightest doubt in my mind,” Karl said with a huge smile on his face. “In fact, I'm pretty sure you'll be thinking of me all the time.”

“Can I open it?” I said.

“No, I want it to be a surprise,” Karl said. “You have to promise not to open it now or during the flight. Believe you will want to be alone when you open this. You will not want the public to be seeing you once you react.”

“You're being so mysterious,” I said. “I'm becoming very curious.”

“It's better that way. I really mean that.” He said. “Once you’ve arrived home safely and you're all alone, then you should open it. I guarantee you that once you've opened this package and seen the contents, it will take your breath away. Literally.”

The attendant at the departure gate signaled that it was time to say goodbye, because the plane was about to leave. I hugged and kissed Karl for the last time, turned around and boarded the waiting plane. From the corner of my eyes, I could see that he was staring at me. The emotions became almost too much to handle. Small teardrops rolled down my cheeks.

During the four hour flight, I thought of my romance that had now come to an end. I felt so sad after we had to say goodbye. Of all the men I had dated before, Karl came closest to being Mr. Perfect. He seemed to be the perfect soul mate. I felt like we were made for one another. He just didn't have any flaws. He was so handsome and yet a complete gentleman. Successful but still respectful. Someone with whom you could spent the rest of your life together. Not like all the previous jerks, losers and psychos I had met before.

I realized that someone like that may only come by once in your life. Imagine what it would be like to never have met someone you could love. To some day be old and still all alone. To have had nothing but broken marriages or other bad relationships. To think what could have been if I had not let Karl go. I could not just let him go. I didn't want to have any regrets later in life. I was determined to not let our relationship end. I could only hope that he would still remember to call me as he had promised. Perhaps there was a chance that, although an ocean separated us, we would still remain together.


--o--

Click on Part 2 for what happened previously or on Part 4 for what happens next in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment