October 12, 2011

Good Things Happen To Good People 3

“Did you hear what I just said?” Mike’s voice sounded.

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Dave said. “Could you repeat what you’ve just said?” 

“Alright, that’s it,” Mike responded. “It’s that girl again, right?”

“I just can’t get her out of my mind,” Dave said, while staring out of the window. He turned around and looked Mike straight into the eyes. “I have to find her,” he said to Mike. “I just have to.”

“But how are you going to find her?” Mike responded. “Nobody knows who she is and you can’t tell either, because you were born a blind man.”

“Maybe I didn’t see her,” Dave admitted. “But I can recognize her voice. She has the sweetest voice I’ve ever heard and judging from the lines of her face that I’ve touched with my own fingers, the prettiest face in the world.”

“That, Mike,” he concluded, “I know for sure.”

The ad in the paper from Dave was in all the headlines.

“Extra!, extra!,” the paperboy shouted. “Read all about it.”

Everybody was talking about it. Here was one of the richest men, and according to many women, one of the handsomest men in the world looking for a girl, whom he didn’t even know. Dave called upon the girl that had saved his life to come forward, because he wanted to reward her for her heroics.

Not surprisingly, hundreds of pretty girls showed up. Every single one of them claimed to be the one. They had spared no cost to look at their absolute best for this occasion and to win Dave’s hand. But every single one of them would leave disappointed. As soon as Dave had heard her voice and touched her face with his fingers, he would say with much disappointment that she was not the person he was looking for.

“You have a very sweet voice,” Dave said to the girls, “and you have a very beautiful face, but you are not the girl I’m looking for.”

Also standing in line was Mary. Her turn was the shortest one of them all. Dave didn’t need to touch her face to know that she was nothing more than a opportunistic gold-digger.

“Throw her out!” he shouted to Mike, when he realized that she was trying to take advantage of his feelings. Mary had no choice but to leave, but she cursed Dave before she left. The profanity that came flying out of her mouth still echoed long afterward.

Dave was beginning to lose hope. “It’s been weeks,” Mike complained, “and we still haven’t found her.”

“She will turn up,” Dave said. “I’m sure of it. She will turn up.”

But to Dave’s agony, that did not happen. Despite all of their efforts, she could not be found.

“Maybe she was a foreigner on vacation and has already left the country,” Mike said to console Dave.

Dave said nothing and stepped into the limo to go home. Dave couldn’t accept the fact that he would never see the girl again who had captured his heart.

“It cannot end like this,” Dave said to himself. “It won’t.”

Suddenly, the limo came to a screeching halt. “Hey, watch out where you’re going!” Dave heard the driver shouting to someone trying to cross the street.

“I’m sorry,” someone replied. “My mind was somewhere else.”

That voice struck Dave like a lighting bolt. “That voice!” he thought. “I’ve only heard that voice once before.” Dave expectations rose like mercury on a hot summer’s day. But he had to be sure and jumped out of the car.

“Where are you?” he said.

“I’m really sorry,” Heidi whispered. Dave said nothing and just touched her porcelain face with his hand. As his fingers followed the delicate lines of her face, his doubts evaporated.

“You’re the one!” he shouted. “You’re the one!”

“All of my life, I’ve been looking for the right girl,” Dave said to Heidi, who was sitting on the opposite side of the table. He stood up from his chair and fell on his knees. Dave held Heidi’s soft hand and took a deep breath.

“Will you marry me?” Dave said, while staring into Heidi’s eyes. Heidi didn’t have to think about it. Dave was everything she was looking for in a man and more. He was truly someone every girl dreamed about.

“I would love to be your wife,” she responded.

The highly anticipated wedding between Dave and Heidi would become the biggest event of the year. The party was filled with celebrities, dressed in the most precious gowns.

“There are a lot of pretty girls around,” Heidi said to Dave.

“I have no doubt there are a lot of gorgeous women around,” Dave said. “But, although I can’t see, I’m also sure that compared to you, they all disappear like snow in the sun.”

Heidi blushed, but what Dave had said, was no lie. Despite all the beauty around, no girl could compare herself with Heidi. They all paled in comparison to her. Her radiating good looks took every man’s breath away.

“Let’s go outside,” Dave said to Heidi. “I have a surprise for you.” They both went outside.

“Remember how you told me you’ve lost the lottery?” Dave said. Heidi nodded. “Look at the clouds.”

Just as Dave had finished speaking, planes dropped out of the clouds and released 1,000,000 roses over their mansion.

“A rose for every dollar that you’ve lost,” Dave said. He turned towards Heidi, when she didn’t respond, and touched her face. He felt the drop of tear that ran through her face.

“Why are you crying?” Dave said.

“It’s nothing,” Heidi said. “I just can’t believe this is really happening. After all the hardship that I’ve been through..........I always believed that someday I would be rewarded for my good deeds. It’s just so ironic that a car accident would change things after another car accident had killed my parents and started my miserable youth.” She wiped her tears away.

“But in the end,” she smiled, “it was all worth it.”

Indeed it was for Heidi, because Dave would prove to be the perfect husband for her or any other girl for that matter. Their tale of love at first sight would forever be remembered by people, even after they had long passed away. Even to this day, people still remember and talk about Heidi and Dave, who had found one another under different circumstances and who would go on to live a long and happy life.

--o--


Click on Part 1 or Part 2 for what happened previously in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment