October 22, 2011

Every Rose Has Its Thorn 5

“Now you know my story, father,” I said from the hospital bed I was lying on. “It’s been two years since the events, that I’ve just described to you, took place, but still I remember them as if they had happened yesterday.”

“I’ve noticed that the symptoms of your illness are already in a very advanced stage,” Father Gregory remarked somberly.

“I look terrible, don't I? It wasn't that long ago that I seemed to have a bright future ahead of me. I had so much going on and had it all taken away from me. It's not right.”

“I've received the best medical care in the best hospital available,”
Ann continued after a moment of silence. “The doctors have done all they can, but my illness is one for which there is no cure. It’s now just a matter of time before the end will come,” I said. “I don’t have a lot of time left and it’s all because of that sick bastard.”

“Did you report Karl to the police?” Father Gregory asked.

“I sure did,” I said. “I immediately went to the NYPD after I realized what had happened and they did contact the local police to try to arrest Karl.”

“So what happened?” Father Gregory asked.

“He is nowhere to be found,” I said. “They’ve looked everywhere, but it looks as if he has just disappeared.”

“Sounds like a professional,” Father Gregory concluded. “This is a guy who knows exactly what he's doing.”

“Alas, it now seems that Karl is well known in the Caribbean and even Central America for his heinous acts,” I said sadly. “I’ve been told that I’m not the first to have fallen for his charm, but just another in a long list. He seems to go after foreigners who don't suspect a thing. Those unfamiliar with the local area.”

“Who is this “Karl” character anyway?” Father Gregory asked.

“Nobody really knows who he,” I answered. “but according to local folklore, they refer to him as the Incubus.”

Father Gregory jumped up in shock. “After the medieval creature?” he said.

“Yes,” I said. “Like the Incubus in the ancient medieval folktales, who seeks unsuspecting young girls and then has intercourse with its prey to suck the life out of its innocent victim.”

“Let’s see if I got this straight,” Father Gregory said, “A very handsome Karl waits at the airport and preys on potential victims. If he spots anyone, who seems to be attracted to him, he goes after her.”

“When she has become spellbound by his attractiveness, which apparently happens a lot,” I added, “he then makes sure that they “accidentally” bump into each other. Then he methodically charms her, until she is so in love with him, that they end up in bed together and thus infects her with the virus.”

“Very diabolical,” Father Gregory concluded.

“That’s it,” I said with a grudge. “His victims never suspect a thing. They all think that they’ve met someone special. Their true love they've been looking for their whole life.”

“He is probably still out there, searching for its next victim,” Father Gregory said. I could see that he was clearly disturbed and worried. “A handsome man with evil intentions. People should beware of him.”

“That is why I’ve turned to you,” I said. “I’ve spent the last two years looking for Karl to bring him to justice, but I’ve had no luck. Now my end is near. Somebody else has to continue in my place to put an end to this. Will you be that person?”

“I swear by the word of God that I will not rest, before I’ve brought Karl to justice,” Father Gregory said. “Your death will not be in vain. That, my child, I promise you!”

“Thank you, father,” I said. “You’re a good man. I knew you would not let me down. I can now go in peace.”

With that said, my last strength began ebbing out of my battered body. My vision of Father Gregory became blurrier, until I could no longer see him. I realized that the end was near and thus closed my eyes. I grabbed Father Bishop’s hand tightly before I exhaled my last breath and then quietly passed away.

--o--

Click on Part 1 or Part 2 or Part 3 or Part 4 for what happened previously in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment